If you have an LCD TV and see smudges all over you may try to quickly start cleaning it with any cleaner you have.
It is safe till you clean your LCD TV with a dry microfiber cloth. However, following other methods without knowing may do worse than any good for the screen.
In this post, I will discuss how to clean an LCD TV Screen in detail with the complete information you need to know.
Let’s get started!
Contents of The Article
- 1 How to Clean LCD TV Screen?
- 2 How to choose the Right Set of Cleaning Accessories for your LCD Smart TV?
- 3 Things to Avoid When Cleaning a LCD TV Screen
- 4 How Do You Clean the Back of a LCD TV?
- 5 How to Know Your LCD TV Screen needs Cleaning?
- 6 How to Take Care of Your LCD TV?
- 7 How to Clean LCD TV Screen FAQs
- 8 Conclusion
How to Clean LCD TV Screen?
LCD TV screen can easily be cleaned following these steps below.
Cut off power
If you have been using your TV recently, unplug the cord from the socket. This will save you from any electric accident.
Now leave your TV for at least 20 minutes until it cools down. Touch it to check if it is cool. Then you can move ahead with the next step.
Use microfiber cloth
Take a soft microfiber cloth to wipe off dust from the screen. Never use any abrasive pad or tissue because it will cause scratches.
Generally, LCD TVs come with a microfiber cloth. You can use the same. If you don’t have one, you can take any soft and lint-free cloth.
Spray cleaning agent
Sometimes the dust on the screen is stubborn and does not go easily. In this case, you need to spray a cleaning agent on the microfiber cloth.
Move your hands in a circular motion while cleaning the screen. Do not use any cleaner that contains wax, alcohol, thinner, benzene, etc.
Dry it well
When you are done with cleaning, let your LCD TV dry properly in and out. You can also use a dry and soft towel for this purpose.
After sometime, you can login to the socket and enjoy watching on a clean screen.
How to choose the Right Set of Cleaning Accessories for your LCD Smart TV?
If you are going to invest in buying a set of cleaning accessories for your LCD smart TV, get an idea of how to pick the right one.
Choosing the Cleaning Cloth Material
The LCD television screens have an anti-glare coating which can easily be damaged. Therefore pick a cloth that is very soft, clean, dry, and lint-free.
Such a type of cloth will not scratch the screen and also not leave residue behind. Most LCD TVs come with a microfiber cloth. Even if you don’t get microfiber cloth with the product, you can purchase it online or offline.
Choosing the Liquid Cleaning Material
You can pick any liquid cleaning solution which is free from ammonia, alcohol, acetone, and benzene. Check the ingredient list so that you can ensure the screen cleaner is safe.
Purchase a screen cleaner that clearly states they are devoid of harmful ingredients. Professional TV cleaners who wipe hundreds of screens in a year recommend using eyeglasses cleaner or lens cleaner for TV screens.
Things to Avoid When Cleaning a LCD TV Screen
Cleaning a LCD TV screen is very important but you cannot pick anything to clean it up. Here are a few things to avoid when cleaning your LCD to the screen or you may cause permanent damage to the screen.
- Never use harsh liquids that contain acetone, alcohol, and ammonia in the ingredients list. These ingredients are not good for your screen’s health. Therefore avoid using soap, scouring powder, window cleaner, wax, and other harsh solvents.
- Like other TV screens, LCD TV screens are also made of plastic and have a coating. Hence, pick the cleaning cloth carefully. It should be extremely soft, non-abrasive, and lint-free. Say a big NO to pads, tissues, and paper towels. If you do not take care of this and use any cloth to clean the screen then it will scratch off the coating. This leads to permanent screen damage.
- Your LCD TV screen is fragile so avoid putting pressure while wiping off the screen. Be as gentle as possible otherwise, the anti-glare coating will get torn.
- Do not spray liquids or water directly on the TV even if they are screen friendly. This may result in electric shock or some other accidents.
- Never start cleaning the TV screen before unplugging them. Besides, you should also let the TV cool down completely.
- Don’t leave your TV dusty for a long time as the dust will accumulate on the ventilation and cause overheating.
- Do not use an overly wet cloth to wipe surfaces because you need only a slightly damp cloth.
- Do not forget to read the manual that comes with your TV before cleaning.
- Never use detergents or dishwashing solutions on the screen no matter what.
- Never switch on your TV without ensuring it is completely dry.
How Do You Clean the Back of a LCD TV?
It’s true that the TV screen is the most visible part so people often forget to clean the back of the TV. If you’re one of them, you’re risking the TV by blocking its ventilation. Here is how you can clean the back of a LCD TV.
- Unplug your TV from the socket and allow it to cool down.
- Once it cools down to normal temperature, turn it around to see the back portion closely.
- If you see any dust, spider webs, or other types of dirt accumulated on the back of the TV, use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dirt. Make sure the vacuum cleaner is at the lowest setting.
- Next, take a moist microfiber cloth to clean the remaining dust.
Now set the TV at a previously fixed position. Do not plug it until it is completely dry. You should do this process at least once a month to maintain your LCD TV at optimum condition.
How to Know Your LCD TV Screen needs Cleaning?
Just like any other item in your house, your LCD TV screen also needs regular cleaning. Electronic equipment like laptops and TV require frequent cleaning of two functions properly for a prolonged period.
However, you should not overclean your TV because it may also damage the screen. Thus, save yourself and your TV both from unnecessary stress.
This sign tells that your LCD TV screen needs screening.
- You see fingerprints and smudges on the screen.
- The screen does not distribute uniform picture quality from all of its parts.
- The picture quality is not clear or it’s not the same as it was.
- There are scratches on the screen.
- The TV heats a lot and doesn’t cool down easily
How to Take Care of Your LCD TV?
Follow these tips to take care of your LCD TV and increase its lifespan.
- Keep your TV off when you are not using it. This not only saves energy consumption but also improves the lifespan of LCD TVs.
- Continuous electricity surges are bad for TV’s internal construction and mechanism. Therefore, use surge protectors to protect your TV.
- Keep the brightness low until you really require high brightness intensity. High brightness reduces the TV’s lifespan and it starts showing damage signs.
- The same goes with contrast level. You should keep the contrast low or medium most of the time. To reduce the contrast level of your LCD TV, go to Menu > Image Settings > Turn down Contrast.
- Make sure your TV is fully ventilated. Avoid keeping anything under the TV. Always fix your TV in a ventilated room where air can pass well.
- Extremely low temperature is also bad for your TV’s health because condensed air can reach inside and damage its interior.
- Accumulated dust blocks the ventilation of your television. Plus, it reaches inside and hampers the TV’s mechanism. Therefore, clean your LCD TV frequently.
- Do not keep your TV screen fixed on a still image no matter how busy you are. Such acts can cause burn-in marks on the screen.
How to Clean LCD TV Screen FAQs
Q1. What is the best thing to clean an LCD TV screen with?
The best things you can use to clean an LCD TV screen are a microfiber cloth and distilled water.
Q2. Can you use glass cleaner on LCD TV?
It’s not recommended to use glass cleaner on LCD TV screens because the screen is mostly made of plastic. Plastic is more prone to get scratches as compared to glass.
However, if the mark or stain on the screen is too rigid to go then you can use glass cleaner. Make sure the glass cleaner is free from acetone, ammonia, and alcohol.
Q3. Can you use Vinegar to clean LCD TVs?
Yes, you can use white vinegar as it is a gentle and effective cleaning agent for TV screens. Try to use it in specific cases. If you need to use it for cleaning stubborn marks, dilute the vinegar with water. Then spray it on a cotton swab and apply it to the desired area.
Q4. Can you clean an LCD TV screen with Windex?
Windex is a window cleaning agent and it should strictly be used for windows only. It contains ammonia and alcohol that damages the coated layer of your TV screen. Hence, avoid using Windex for wiping screens.
Let’s conclude the post on how to clean LCD TV!
It is important to regularly clean your LCD TV to ensure optimal picture quality and to extend the lifespan of your TV.
The best way to clean your LCD TV is to use a microfiber cloth dampened with water or a mild cleaning solution. Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners on your TV.
I hope you found this post easy to follow and helpful.