If you are looking to know about the LED-backlit LCD, then this is the right post.
This post would involve the backlight technology involved in the monitor.
Generally, for the LCD, the backlight is CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent).
What is a LED-backlit LCD Display?
LED-backlit LCD displays are a type of LED display that uses LED backlight to produce colour images. LED technology offers better contrast, wider viewing angles and faster response times than traditional fluorescent or CCFL displays.
LED-backlit LCDs are used in many different products such as televisions, computers, mobile devices, tablet PCs and handheld game consoles.
LED-backlit LCDs are widely used in most applications as they offer significant advantages over other display technologies.
Benefits of LED-backlit LCD
The backlight used in the LED-backlit LCD is LED only. So, it has several benefits:
- Improved Color Gamut: As the backlight is LED, the color gamut is broader and richer than the CCFL. LED-backlit LCDs offer a range of viewing angles and faster response time. The colour gamete in LED-backlit LCD looks amazing and vibrant to watch movies, games and much more.
- Improved Contrast Ratio with Deeper Blacks: The LEDs have a deeper black than the CCFL backlight. Hence the contrast Ratio would be better in the case of a LED-backlit LCD monitor or TV. The black colour in LED-backlit LCDs is darker and more accurate than other LCD technology.
- Power Saver: According to a study by tomshardware, LED lights consume 30% to 40% less power between running a screen with 100% brightness to 50% brightness.
- Better Viewing Angle: LEDs allow for wider viewing angles than CCFL, in part because LEDs can be placed at better positions to reflect light to the viewer.
- Long Lifespan: The LED backlight is also more durable than traditional fluorescent or CCFL lamps. It does not produce much heat while running on low power.
- Faster Response Time: LEDs have a faster response time than CCFL. LED-backlit LCDs are usually more responsive, with less motion blur than other technologies. Therefore they can be used in fast-moving content such as video games or movies.
- Eco-Friendlier: LED backlights have a longer lifespan as compared to CCFL. LED-backlit LCDs are more eco-friendly, with the reduced environmental impact of their disposal in landfills. LED lighting is also safer and easier for maintenance than fluorescent or LED lighting. You can recycle LED-backlit LCDs with less environmental impact than other display technologies.
Drawbacks of LED-Backlit LCD
- More Expensive: The LED backlights in LED-backlit LED displays are also more expensive than CCFL lamps which can make them less cost-effective and efficient for large display screens.
- Lower Luminance: LED-backlit LED displays also offer lower luminance levels than CCFL lamps.
- Backlight bleed and IPS Glow: LED-backlit LED screens also suffer from the so-called Backlight bleed, which is a downside. On the corners, also some glow occurs known as IPS Glow.
Though you might not have known about the LED-backlight LCD initially, now you got a clear understanding of the LCD technology with LED backlight.
Let’s conclude! I hope you liked the post. LED-backlit LCD displays are a type of LED display that uses LED backlight to produce colour images. LED technology offers better contrast, wider viewing angles and faster response times than traditional fluorescent or CCFL displays.